Tuesday, June 29, 2010

What Makes You A "Visitor"?

 
 

Sent to you by Ray via Google Reader:

 
 

via The Faculty Lounge by Tim Zinnecker on 6/24/10

My caption is prompted by a comment posted to an earlier iteration of our list of "visitors."  In many instances, the info on our list has been provided by the individual, rather than the host institution (sometimes we received info from the individual and the institution; sometimes from just the institution; sometimes from a colleague or friend; sometimes from another internet source).  I have no reason to question the accuracy of the info (regardless of source), choosing instead to believe that the repercussions of any blatant falsehoods would be quickly brought to light and swiftly (and perhaps painfully) addressed. 

But I do wonder if we all assign the same meaning to the term "visitor."  Consider the following:

1) With my school's permission, I move from Houston to Cleveland to teach a regular load of courses at Case Western for a semester.  I'm not teaching any courses at South Texas during that semester.  I probably return to Houston three or more weekends during the semester.  I continue to draw my paycheck from South Texas, which is reimbursed by Case Western (which may or may not pay me a relocation supplement).  I'm a "visitor," right?  (And whether Case Western identifies me as such on its faculty roster is irrelevant, right?)

2) I teach one course at cross-town Texas Southern during a semester.  I continue with my normal responsibilities at South Texas.  TSU pays me directly for my services.   Am I a "visitor"?  Does the answer depend on whether TSU lists me as a "visitor" on its faculty directory?

3) I leave practice to become a Bigelow Fellow at Chicago or a participant in the VAP Program at Duke.  Am I a "visitor"?  Can I be a "visitor" if I'm not temporarily leaving a position at another university?

4) I am scheduled for a sabbatical next semester.  For whatever reason (e.g., family, financial, professional, etc.), I contact several schools and express an interest in relocating just for the semester to teach commercial law courses.  My friend Richard Gershon invites me to Oxford for the semester.  I'll continue to draw my salary and benefits from South Texas, but I'll also be drawing a nice  salary from the University of Mississippi.  Am I a "visitor"?  Does it matter whether Mississippi lists me as a visitor on its faculty directory?  (Query whether your sabbatical policy allows you to teach elsewhere during the sabbatical.  Perhaps that's a worthy topic for another day.)

Thoughts on these, or other, examples?


 
 

Things you can do from here:

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment